Aims and ethos
The aims and ethos of the Sunset Dawn reflect the balance and harmony inherent in the concept itself:
- The Sunset Dawn aims to foster peace, friendship and understanding between people across the globe by developing and celebrating cultural links within a harmonious cosmic frame.
- It is open to and respectful of all spiritual and cultural traditions, but without seeking to promote any one over and above the others.
- It aims to foster sustainable development thru the use of solar and renewable energy wherever practically possible, and thru care of the environment where festivals are staged.
- It respects the calm and beauty of the sunset and the dawn thru a sensitive and appropriate use of technology – particularly with regard to levels of sound and lighting in the staging of the festival.
- It aims to stimulate learning, inquiry and creativity by using a cosmic model with light as its medium to explore the planet and the humanity we share.
- It aims to be inclusive: while the main cultural frame is provided by the sunset dawn connexions across the globe, contributions are also welcome from outside that frame if they are offered in the spirit of the festival e.g. poems on the theme of the sunset or the dawn, light and dark, the magic of the night, dreaming and waking, the meeting of East and West, of North and South, of cultures and civilizations, the harmony and reconciliation of opposites, death and rebirth, yin and yang etc…
- It is non-commercial and non-political, but willing to work openly and transparently with business and government in pursuit of the above aims.
In practical terms we aim to build the Sunset Dawn as a not-for-profit initiative pioneered through a global network of leading universities, museums and galleries supported by business, media and government.